An Overview of Mental Health in Yorba Linda, California
Yorba Linda, California is a beautiful, growing city located in the northern region of Orange County. The city itself has what residents call a “small-town character.” However, Yorba Linda certainly is not a small town with a population of 68,229 people. There are many perks to living in this city including a quick 20 minute drive to Disneyland and a relatively short commute to Los Angeles. Residents of Yorba Linda can enjoy the benefits larger cities have to offer without having to deal with the influx of tourists throughout the year.
A trip to Yorba Linda is quick to reveal streets lined with large, luxurious homes. This explains why the median house value in the city is $792,700, approximately $500,000 over the national median. However, in spite of such high numbers, most people in Yorba Linda are making ends meet with a high median household income of $119,697 and a very low poverty rate of 3.83 percent. Although statistics reveal that Yorba Linda is faring better than most, every city has a number of residents that need care for mental health concerns. It is important that both adults and youths living in the city are aware of what resources are available to them so they can receive the help they need.
Mental Health Statistics for Youths Living in Yorba Linda
Yorba Linda’s mental health statistics reveal a positive outcome for youths living in the city. In many aspects, the city ranks better than the rest of Orange County:
- Students are more proficient in reading and math and more likely to graduate from high school
- Lower alcohol and drug use is reported for students of all races
- There are lower rates of obesity for all grade levels
- More students report they feel safe or very safe
Since low graduation rates, substance abuse, a lack of physical activity, and the perception that one is not safe are all indicators of mental illness, these statistics reveal that Yorba Linda’s youth are likely experiencing lower rates of mental illness than the rest of the county.
Divorce Rates in Yorba Linda
Although recent research has shown that divorce rates in the United States might actually be dropping, the national average is often reported to be around 50 percent. The rate is even higher in the state of California at 60 percent. While statistics reveal that only 6.6 percent of current adults are divorced in Yorba Linda, this does not reveal how many people have ever been divorced in their life. In fact, Orange County is known for having one the highest divorce rates in the entire nation.
Despite its prevalence, divorce is often a very hard process for everyone involved. For those who are currently going through a divorce or still recovering from one, counseling can be very beneficial in the healing process. Statistics reveal that approximately 70 percent of Americans get remarried after a divorce, but second and third marriages are more likely to end in divorce than a first marriage. Going to a marriage counselor can help couples work through their marital problems or prepare individuals for future relationships.
Mental Health Resources in Yorba Linda
There are many resources available for individuals in Yorba Linda who are struggling with mental health issues. Therapy can help with problems such as divorce, substance abuse, depression, anxiety, and PTSD, which will improve one’s overall quality life. Here are some important resources to remember when you or your loved one needs help right away:
- Suicide Prevention Hotline: If you or your loved is considering suicide, call 877-727-4747 immediately. This number is available to call all days of the week at any time of day.
- NAMI WarmLine (Orange County): If you are not experiencing a crisis but would still like support for your mental health or substance abuse issue, call 877-910-9276 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. on weekends.
- Adult and Older Adult Behavioral Health (AOABH): A local facility that addresses a wide range of mental health services for adults.
- Children and Youth Behavioral Outpatient Clinic – Brea: A clinic that serves youths under the age of 18 suffering with mental illnesses in the northern region of Orange County.