An Overview of Mental Health in San Ramon, California
San Ramon, California, is a relatively affluent area, set about a half hour east of San Fransisco. A beautiful, populous region, the city is home to several major corporate headquarters and boasts a moderate, Mediterranean climate. Despite all these factors in its favor, San Ramon’s citizens still struggle with mental health challenges.
Factors Contributing to San Ramon Mental Health Concerns
Although mental illness can be caused by a variety of factors, both biological and circumstantial, there are some factors which may affect San Ramon, California, residents more than others. Financial expectations, concerns over citizenship, and marital problems all contribute to mental health strain.
With an average household income of just over $138,000 – more than double the median California income, and nearly triple the US average – the population of San Ramon is a little more financially stable than most American families, but that doesn’t mean they’re without their own problems. Financial success often equates to financial expectations, which can put a strain on relationships.
For the 3.88 percent of the population that lives at or below the poverty line, this means it’s even harder for them to survive in this area than in places with a lower average income. Higher median income typically leads to a higher cost of living, which is clearly demonstrated in San Ramon’s $810,700 average property price tag. Financial instability is one of the most common causes of anxiety. In fact, 62 percent of Americans say that money issues are a significant source of stress and anxiety in their lives.
Furthermore, those who struggle with financial-related mental health concerns are often the least able to reach a therapist. Those who face financial hardship often can’t afford mental health care, and unfortunately, not all insurance providers cover such services. On the opposite end of the spectrum, more affluent people struggling under the weight of financial expectations can often become “workaholics” with little to no time available in their schedule for any kind of self-care, including mental health care.
Only 86.4 percent of San Ramon, California, residents are United States citizens. In a political climate that is growing more and more hostile toward immigrants, this can be incredibly stressful for the other 13.6 percent of the population. Fears over personal safety, financial stability, and future citizenship status can lead to elevated levels of anxiety and depression. Even naturalized immigrants face concerns over racial discrimination, denaturalization, and deportation.
Having a trusted therapist with whom to discuss these concerns can really help to assuage these fears and develop coping skills. For those seeking future citizenship, in certain cases, having a mental health evaluation on file can also help your case and expedite the immigration process.
California’s divorce rate is above the national average, sitting at around 60 percent, compared to a US rate of about 50 percent. Approximately ten percent of all California citizens are divorced, and another five percent are widowed. The loss of a spouse, through divorce or otherwise, is a tragic, often traumatic event. It’s important for anyone who has gone through this to see a therapist to work through the litany of emotions associated with the process. Many people don’t realize that a divorce must be grieved in much the same way as a loss of life.
It’s also important for people experiencing the dissolution of a marriage to see a marriage counselor or therapist to help them through the process. In many cases, marriage counseling can make all the difference in the relationship, but even in cases where the marriage is unable to be salvaged, a therapist can help both parties work through their emotions and part on amicable terms.
This is especially important in families where children will be involved in the separation, as divorce has a significant impact on the young psyche. Involved children and young adults should also spend some time with a therapist who specializes in younger minds to ensure there are no lasting negative effects of the parting.
Finding a Therapist in San Ramon, California
On average, there are approximately three therapists or other mental health professionals per 1000 people in the San Ramon area. This can make it difficult for those who need help to connect with a therapist and get the help they need.
When you search for a therapist through E-Counseling’s directory, you’ll find resources to connect you to the mental health care you need. Because no one should have to suffer in silence.