Cerritos, California Therapists
Find a therapist in Cerritos, California that meets your needs. Browse our comprehensive list of affordable and licensed therapists in Cerritos to find a professional specializing in counseling people with stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, grief and more.
We may receive fees from the providers listed below. See our full disclaimer.
An Overview of Mental Health in Cerritos, California
Cerritos, California, is a suburb of Los Angeles and one of the Gateway Cities in southeast Los Angeles County. As of July 2018, Cerritos was home to 50,462 residents. The community is very diverse. Sixty percent of the population is Asian, 20.6% Caucasian, and 13.5% Latino. Cerritos is a relatively affluent area, with a median household income of $106,190 as of 2019 compared to $71,228 for the State of California. However, this is offset somewhat by a high cost of living index of 141.7 compared to 100 for the United States.
More than 90% of homes have a broadband internet subscription, and more than 95% of households have a computer. Citizens of Cerritos are well-educated, with more than half (52%) holding at least a bachelor’s degree. Very few people lack health insurance (6.3%), and the rate of poverty is 4.9% compared to over 12% for the state. Some other positive aspects of life in Cerritos are safety and employment. The crime rate is roughly equal to that of the United States as a whole, 270.4 incidents per 100,000 in the population compared to 274.0 for the country. The unemployment rate as of March 2019 was 3.8%, less than 4.6% for California.
Mental Health in California
The 2016 Community Health Needs Assessment conducted by PIH Hospital – Downey found that 72% of respondents to the survey saw mental healthcare as having a severe or very severe impact on the well-being of the community. In the same study, 59% believe that mental healthcare availability has worsened over time, and 100% of respondents believe that Cerritos lacks sufficient resources to care for those in need of help. Participants ranked mental health services at the top of the list of the most critical health issues facing the community. The top three significant community health needs identified were the affordability of health insurance, the availability of substance abuse treatment, and the availability of mental health services.
Specific to Los Angeles County, 9.6% of adults indicated they had an episode of severe psychological distress in the last year, and 18% of adults reported needing help for emotional, mental, or substance abuse difficulties in the past year. However, only 13% reported getting help for those difficulties, while 43.2% reported needing assistance but not receiving it or not being able to access it. Among teenagers, 22.4% reported needing help in the last year, and 14.5% actually received care. Community members who participated in the survey indicated some specific barriers that kept residents from accessing treatment for mental illness, including lack of transportation, clinic hours that are not compatible with work and family schedules, and copays and deductibles that are not affordable.
Mental Health Services Available in Cerritos, California
Cerritos has a variety of mental health providers in the community.
- Rio Hondo Community Mental Health Center is a county-operated agency serving adults in need of crisis intervention, case management, group counseling, and other services. Rio Hondo provides care in 14 different languages.
- College Hospital Cerritos is a psychiatric hospital with 187 beds. The organization offers a full spectrum of psychiatric services to adult and youth residents of Los Angeles and Orange Counties. College Hospital also provides a 24-hour crisis helpline.
- Pacific Coast Healthsystems, Inc. is a private practice providing individual, family, and couples therapy, as well as psychological testing. Psychiatrists on staff can assist with medical evaluation and management. Pacific specializes in depression, panic attacks, PTSD, to name a few.
These facilities represent a mix of public and private venues through which to seek help for mental health concerns.
Emergency Mental Health Services in Cerritos, California
Mental health disorders can reach a crisis point. While this is frightening, it’s important to remember that help is available. Here are a few of the entities you can reach out to if you need help for yourself or someone you love.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Cerritos Station of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department: 562-860-0044
- Rio Hondo Community Mental Health Center ACCESS Center 24/7 Helpline: 1-800-854-7771
- College Hospital Cerritos Psychiatric Hospital 24-Hour Crisis Helpline: 1-800-352-3301
While finding the right services can be challenging, most people with a mental health diagnosis can find the right combination of therapy and medication to help them live happy and healthy lives. Resources are available to help you and your family find the solution and move forward.