An Overview of Mental Health in Davie, Florida
The central Broward County town of Davie, Florida is home to a close-knit community of 105,149 residents. With almost a rural feel, the city boasts 167 miles of trails, numerous parks and green spaces, a large equestrian community and the enchanting south Florida Everglades. The city is located about 20 minutes from Fort Lauderdale and an hour from Miami, but there’s plenty to do in Davie itself. Popular leisure options include the Bergeron Rodeo Grounds, Flamingo Gardens and Vista View Park. Davis is also known for the higher education institutions that make up the South Florida Educational Center, such as Nova Southeastern University (where the Miami Dolphins practice).
Mental Health in Davie
Of course, the external factors listed above do not guarantee perfect mental or physical health. Nice weather, low crime rates, access to education and relatively wealth can support happiness, but only up to a point. Some of the challenges that Davie residents face include mood and depressive disorders, eating disorders, substance abuse, schizophrenia and suicide. Unfortunately, across Florida, 61.7% of adults do not receive treatment for their mental illness. Specific challenges in the Davie region are outlined below.
- Difficulty that Foreign-Born Residents Face in US: 1% of residents in Davie were born abroad. These residents bring a rich cultural background to the city but may find they need additional support to adapt to life in the US.
- Pressure from Higher Education: The presence of higher education institutions can put pressure on residents to achieve a certain level of education or career success. Burnout, anxiety and stress can lead to mental and physical illness.
- Stress of Managing Long-term Illness: HIV rates are higher in Broward County than the rest of the state and US. Although treatment of HIV has advanced considerably, it is still difficult to live with this diagnosis.
- Lack of Suicide Support: Broward County has one of the highest suicide rates in Florida. If you are having any thoughts of suicide, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
Mental Health Resources in Davie
Davie residents have access to a variety of mental health resources. Depending on your needs and preferences, you could work with a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), licensed mental health counselor (LMHC) or licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). They see clients in long-term care facilities, private practice, community counseling environments or detox and rehab centers.
These counselors have helped clients through a wide range of situations and illnesses, including the following.
- Career challenges
- Relationship, parenting and family difficulties
- Grief and physical, sexual and emotional trauma
- Coping with chronic physical and mental illnesses
- Substance abuse recovery
As with any medical professional, it’s important to find a counselor who is experienced and meets your needs. When it comes to mental health, you may have to check out multiple providers before you find a counselor and style of therapy that is a good fit for you. Therapists and counselors in Davie have experience in motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), trauma-informed CBT, dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) and solution-focused therapy.
The Challenge of Finding a Suitable Therapist in Davie
Cost is often one of the main challenges of finding a suitable therapist in Davie. 12.7% of the city lives in poverty, 16.7% of residents don’t have health insurance and the state is one of the worst in the country at providing mental health funding. Currently, mental health funding in Florida is a mere $39 per resident and it’s likely to continue to shrink due to budget constraints.
Given these challenges, it’s worth investigating alternative ways to obtain counseling in Davie and nearby towns .
Find a Therapist in Davie
If you or a loved one are dealing with a mental health challenge, know that there is hope nearby. E-Counseling has a robust therapist directory to help you find the support you need. Whatever you’re going through deserves care, kindness and attention. When you’re ready to take the next step on your recovery journey, reach out and find an experienced and licensed counselor in Davie.