Find Therapists, Counselors and Psychologists in Layton, Utah
Find a therapist in Layton, Utah that meets your needs. Browse our comprehensive list of affordable and licensed therapists in Layton, to find a professional specializing in counseling people with stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, grief and more.
Dr. Lauren Loberg
- Languages: English
- Experience: 10 years
- Languages: English
- Experience: 3 years
Licensed Therapist?Add Your Listing Free
Mental Health Overview in Layton, Utah
Layton, Utah is a steadily growing city with the picturesque, snowcapped Wasatch Mountains serving as a background. The most current population estimates reveal the city has 76,691 residents making it the most populated city in Davis County. Layton is in close proximity to Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah and the most populated city in the state. Like much of Utah, Layton has a large community of Mormon residents. In fact, 77.7 percent of people living in Layton identify as Latter Day Saints.
In many regards, the residents of Layton appear to being doing well physically and financially. The general health condition in the city is at 58.2 percent which is higher than the rest of the state, and the poverty rate is low at 7.4 percent. The city has a higher than average median household income of $71,883. The high school graduation rate is also very high at 94.7 percent with 31.3 percent of residents holding a Bachelor’s degree or higher. These statistics indicate that overall many people in Layton likely have decent mental health. However, there are several specific populations of people living in Layton that struggle more than others. Minorities, veterans, and homeless populations in Layton experience issues like poverty, incarceration, substance abuse, suicide, divorce and low graduation rates as a result of mental illness.
Receiving treatment for mental health issues can reduce the chance of these outcomes occurring and improve one’s overall quality of life. However, recent statistics show that over 50 percent of adults in America do not receive care for their mental health disorders. This includes Utah who has approximately 258,000 people living with mental illnesses going untreated.
There are several factors that can prevent people from receiving the care they need including a stigma surrounding mental health, a lack of providers in their area, the issue of cost, and a lack of awareness of available resources. In Utah, there are only 350 providers per person living in the state which can make finding a provider difficult for individuals with mental illnesses. Insurance also plays a big role in whether a person will seek or help or not, but 9.2 percent of residents in Layton do not have health insurance. It is important that individuals seeking help in Layton, Utah are aware of how mental health issues affect their community and where they can go to seek the help they need.
Divorce Rates in Layton
Despite the fact Layton’s median age is relatively young compared to the rest of the country at 29 years old, the city has especially high marriage rates. Overall, 60.9 percent of residents are married. 8.7 percent of people living in Layton are currently divorced, but this does not indicate how many marriages end in divorce within the city. Some research that suggests that Utah’s overall divorce rate is high, but that remarriage often happens quickly. Also, Utah’s residents often get married at a younger age than the rest of the nation. Both of these statistics can be linked to the role of Mormonism in Utah which emphasizes the importance of marriage.
Divorce and marital strife is not uncommon among married American couples. 60 percent of American report being happy in their marriages which leaves 40 percent of people who are not satisfied. Couples who want to try and make their marriage last can benefit from marriage counseling.
Mental Health Concerns in Layton
Although the poverty rate is only 6.89 percent for white residents living in Layton, poverty rates are much higher for several minority races. For instance, 24.35 percent of Hispanics, 28.21 percent of Islanders, and 19.30 percent of African Americans are living in poverty. Poverty has an extreme effect on the mental health of both youths and adults and can lead to both anxiety and depression.
Additionally, Layton is home to almost 5,000 veterans, most of which fought in the Vietnam War. Mental illnesses like PTSD, depression, and anxiety disorders are very common for returning veterans. Suicide is also an issue among veterans with 20 veteran deaths by suicide occurring every day.
E-Counseling Solves the Challenge of Finding a Therapist in Layton
E-Counseling directory is aware of how difficult it can be to locate a mental health provider in Layton, Utah and other cities throughout the U.S. Their website includes a helpful, easy-to-navigate therapist directory that includes a list of available providers in each city.