Burnsville, Minnesota Therapists
Find a therapist in Burnsville, Minnesota that meets your needs. Browse our comprehensive list of affordable and licensed therapists in Burnsville, to find a professional specializing in counseling people with stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, grief and more.
We may receive fees from the providers listed below. See our full disclaimer.
An Overview of Mental Health in Burnsville, Minnesota
Sitting just over 20 miles from the state capitol of St. Paul, Burnsville is a thriving city in the northwestern section of Minnesota’s Dakota County. Estimates from 2017 place the local population at 61,439, a figure that has increased by slightly less than 2% over the last half-decade. In the past 20 years, Burnsville has come to rank as one of the 10 largest cities in Minnesota, thanks in part to the Interstate 35 construction in 2000.
The I-35 highway connects much of the city’s commercial interests, from its collection of auto dealerships to many of the region’s larger employers. Burnsville’s workforce is largely supported by a group of companies that includes Pepsi-Cola, Frontier Communications and YRC Worldwide. These organizations help to create a successful economy for the residents of Burnsville, who enjoy income and employment rates both higher than the national averages.
While the residents of Burnsville’s parent county do report a high level of life satisfaction (93% rating their quality of life as good or excellent), challenges do exist from the standpoint of mental wellness. Studies show that depression and anxiety are notable presences in this part of Minnesota, both among teenagers as well as adults. Mental health in general has shown to be a primary concern of several specific demographic groups, and stands as one of the area’s highest public health priorities.
Stopping Self-Harm in Burnsville
When discussing the effects that stem from poor mental health, it’s impossible to ignore some of the dangerous behaviors that it often inspires. One of the most glaring risks relates to self-harming behavior, which can include suicidal thoughts or attempts. Burnsville’s home of Dakota County is, unfortunately, all too aware of this reality, as suicide represents one of its leading causes of death.
Furthermore, Minnesota as a state faces an uphill battle in this same regard. A local report published in 2016 brought to light the elevated rate of suicide among young people in the North Star State, an estimated 10.2 incidents for every 100,000 total residents. This alarming figure is one that sadly outpaces the U.S. average of 9.6. per 100,000 persons.
A demonstrable link between suicidal behavior and the existence of mental disorders has been well established, as noted in the American Journal of Psychiatry, among other publications. Some estimates suggest that as many as 60% of those who take their own lives had previously dealt with some major form of depression. Combatting this public threat is likely to require both immediate action as well as effective longer-term planning.
Beneficial Mental Health Resources
No matter what your particular mental health challenge is, remember that help can be found in a variety of forms. You can refer to the links below as a starting point if you’re in need of services in or around the Burnsville, MN area:
- Pinnacle Behavioral Healthcare: A group that offers two offices, including one conveniently located in Burnsville. They provide a range of valuable services, from crisis management to focused programs such as smoking cessation and anger management.
- Dakota County Mental Health: This site provides several helpful hotline numbers, as well as links to lower-cost services available throughout the general region.
- Options Family & Behavior Services: This organization provides family, youth and adult-focused assistance. They also help individuals seeking to cope with substance abuse issues.
- Healing Connections Therapy Center: Located in Burnsville, HC delivers a spectrum of programs. Areas of focus include post-traumatic stress disorder, age- and gender-specific subjects, marital counseling and more.
For those living outside of the immediate Burnsville area, consider the following resources:
- Minnesota Mental Health Clinics: These centers extend service to several populous areas throughout the state, including Southwest Minneapolis, Apple Valley and Lakeville.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Regardless of your location, the NSPL offers support for those experiencing immediate crisis. The site offers a chat interface, or you can seek out direct voice assistance by calling 1-800-273-8255.
Personal Recovery Through Person-to-Person Therapy
Each person will find that certain forms of therapy are more beneficial than others. For those who would prefer personalized treatment close to home, consider the E-Counseling directory. Its purpose is to connect those in need with those who can provide the right type of professional assistance. Simply type in your location and find caring, capable therapists in your area today.