My Therapist Online Review
E-counseling is an independent, advertising supported website. Some of the providers listed on our site pay referral fees. Although we make every effort to keep it up-to-date, misrepresentations and inaccuracies in the data are possible. We recommend that you contact the providers listed below directly, to verify any information that may be of interest to you. We take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information listed below; though we do update it regularly. This information is subject to change at any time.
Therapy is one of the oldest forms of psychological treatment. People have been giving and receiving therapy for thousands of years in some way, shape, or form. Therapy can be given discreetly by friends who are concerned about others, it can be provided by a registered practitioner, and it can be sought from respected family members.
Institutionalized therapy, on the other hand, is a comparatively new area that has only existed for a few hundred years. In these few hundred years, there have been immense changes and improvements made in the world of therapy. As technology improves and people become more explorative, so too does therapy.
This is what led to the eventual development of online counseling or e-therapy. E-therapy allows patients to seek help for their mental health problems online or over the telephone so that they don’t actually need to show up in person for a therapy session.
It’s important to make sure that you’re working with a legitimate company if you want to get e-therapy. There are a lot of companies out there, and it can be tough to decide which one is for you. In this article we’re going to review My Therapist Online, a recent e-therapy company that aims to provide users with quality treatment.
My Therapist Online is run and owned by a woman named Lisa, who is certified as a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist. She’s got more than 15 years experience working in the mental health field as a part of the NHS. As the founder, her specialties lie in helping people manage serious anxiety problems.
She recognized that conventional therapy might not provide all the opportunities that everyone needs. On My Therapist Online’s website, you can find a detailed story about her decision to begin providing therapy online. By offering this service, she has helped people in many ways.
- Providing ease of access. Some people can’t get to a counselor or therapist because of a physical disability or because of their location. My Therapist Online allows people to connect with therapists regardless of where they live or what disabilities they struggle with as long as they can use a computer.
- Helping maintain privacy. All therapists and counselors should be bound to a contract of confidentiality, meaning that they shouldn’t tell anyone about what they discuss with their patients. However, this doesn’t necessarily help someone who doesn’t want anyone to know that they’re getting therapy in the first place. This benefit is particularly appealing to youth of high school age – by using a service like My Therapist Online, you can avoid having anyone ever find out that you’re getting therapy.
Lisa currently has more than six years working as an online therapist and firmly believes that therapy should be provided discretely and whenever necessary.
After you’ve clicked the button or accessed the registration page from another link, you enter your name, email, phone number and other contact details, your birthday, your address and some emergency contacts.
After providing the basic information you are asked to summarize the details of your issue. You can name your preferred therapist if you have one; otherwise you’ll be assigned one based on who is the best fit.
At the end you will have to click a box acknowledging that you give consent for the registered therapists working for the company to read your information. Otherwise, all of the information that you provide is strictly confidential.
My Therapist Online works with counselors and therapists who have different degrees of qualification and thus the prices that they charge are not all the same. Some therapists will charge significantly more than others. You can generally expect that your sessions will cost somewhere between £60 and £120 each.
Usability (Desktop & Mobile):
My Therapist Online provides patients with an easy-to-use platform through which they can access various therapeutic treatments. The preferred method of therapy on this site is through video calls.
After you have provided all your information it will go to the company for review.. If they deem you worthy of treatment, they will contact you within a few days and send you an email describing anywhere from 1 to 3 therapists who are qualified to help you manage your issues. They will recommend the strongest match, but the choice is ultimately yours.
You are also able to make use of a single free consultation. This consultation will be around 15 minutes long and will provide you with several opportunities.
- You’ll be able to meet with your chosen therapist over a video call before actually paying for treatment.
- This allows you to decide whether or not you are comfortable working with this individual.
- You will get to test out your chosen communication platform (Skype, FaceTime, etc).
- You’ll be able to further identify the issues that you want to work on.
Aside from that, the majority of communication will be done directly with your therapist via email. You will discuss the details of your meetings on other platforms. My Therapist Online mostly just connects patients with therapists.
Counselor Support & Effectiveness:
No one therapy session is alike. However, even if you don’t feel a connection to the therapist provided by My Therapist Online, it’s unlikely that you will experience below average support. You will be in a therapy session with a qualified professional. My experience was, not surprisingly, very positive. Unlike the big companies in the online therapy industry, My Therapist Online is managed personally by Lisa. It’s clear that her involvement in the day to day workings of her service impacts the level of support given.
Confidentiality & Privacy:
Therapy sessions conducted through Skype or other communication methods will be subject to the privacy terms of those mediums. Here, you will just be bound to the morals of your therapist.
My Therapist Online Counselor Qualifications
All of the therapists working for My Therapist Online are qualified in their respective organizations. Quite a few of them are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.
Anyone working with My Therapist Online must have at least 3 years of post-qualification field experience, backed by a membership with a professional organization. Some of the accepted organizations include BABCP, BACP, COSRT accreditation and BPS Chartership.
To ensure that their therapists are verified and telling the truth, they are required to provide photo ID as well as a copy of their certification as well as any other documents or clinical notes that prove their authenticity. Written notes from qualified co-workers are also encouraged.
Specialties & Areas of Expertise:
My Therapist Online is a company that hires qualified therapists regardless of their specialty. This means that there are a number of therapists available on this site who can help you manage a wide variety of conditions.
That said, there are some mental health issues that you will find it easier to get help with. Many of these areas of expertise are similar to those found on other e-therapy databases simply because there are more counselors qualified to help manage these problems and/or because the problems are quite common.
These are the areas in which My Therapist Online excels.
- OCD. Obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD, is a unique form of anxiety disorder that can manifest in many different ways. Generally, people with OCD display a need to engage in some compulsive task or behavior over and over. One common form of OCD is an excessive need to keep everything organized and cleanliness. OCD can also involve distorted or violent thought patterns. Some of the therapists at My Therapist Online can help people learn to accept and deal with these thoughts.
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Body dysmorphic disorder, or BDD, is a condition in which a person is unable to perceive their physical appearance as it actually is. They often believe that they are much heavier or thinner than they actually are. This can result in serious issues with self-esteem and identity problems.
- Depression. Depression is one of the most common mental health problems on the planet. Depression can come in a number of forms but it usually results in lowering a person’s quality of life. It can be hard for a depressed person to find motivation or to accomplish their daily routine.
- Trauma. Most people have some degree of trauma from their childhood, even if their parents had the best intentions. Trauma leads to the development of unhealthy defensive thought patterns and behaviors, and identifying the trauma is vital for anyone who wants to move beyond these behaviors.
- Sleep problems. Things like insomnia and oversleeping can actually be the result of a psychological problem. My Therapist Online can help you figure out if your sleep problems are caused by your state of mental health.
- Anxiety. Anxiety is another very common problem that comes in many forms. Anxiety can make it hard for people to participate in their daily lives and can be difficult for anyone hoping to maintain a job or any close relationships.
These are the company’s specialties. However, many of the therapists are qualified to help you manage other problems like addiction, PTSD, or relationship issues.
If you’re looking for a chance to connect with a therapist online, My Therapist Online could help you accomplish your goal. While the site doesn’t have much of its own platform for working with therapists, it can certainly help connect you with qualified counselors. If you’re comfortable setting up your schedule and working with your therapists outside of a sanctioned platform, then My Therapist Online could be for you.
Pros & Cons
- Clients can choose the communications platforms they prefer
- Therapists are licensed and experienced
- Free 10-15 minute consultation offered before beginning with a therapist
- Session fees are more expensive than most other platforms