Overview of Mental Health Resources in Memphis, Tennessee
A lot of people presume that depression is only common in great big cities. The truth is that people suffer from depression in all cities and all towns. Mental health disorders do not discriminate between age, sex, or race. They affect all types of people around the world. That is why it is so important that you can find help when you need it. Thankfully, there are places out there to find a good mental health professional. We understand that freedom and happiness depend on good mental health.
Memphis, Tennessee is an exciting place to live. It is known for its amazing barbeque and great music. It is also one of many cultural melting places in America. It is the birthplace of some of our musical legends. Memphis is also known as being the birthplace of the blues. Yes, blues refers to the music genre. However, many people in Memphis also suffer from the blues.
Mental Health Statistics for Memphis
Memphis is a great place to visit. People take trips every year to explore the music, food and heritage Memphis offers. Living in Memphis can be amazing too. However, like most cities, Memphis has its own mental health crisis on its hands. It is estimated that over 1 million people in Tennessee suffer from a mental disorder every year. About 20% of these people suffer from a serious mental illness. Sadly, the entire state of Tennesse only offers about 600 beds for people with mental health issues. You can do the math. Tennesse reports that over 200,000 people are turned away from treatment every year. This number is increasing with each year. The statistics are so saddening because one of the cornerstones of a rewarding life is optimal mental health. Everyone should have access to mental health resources.
This just demonstrates how important it is that people have an alternate resource for mental health treatment. There are over 1,800 mental health professionals in Memphis. They are trained to handle mental health and substance abuse issues. The problem is that many people don’t know how to find a good mental health professional. Every time you do a Google search, you will click on whichever therapist has the best search engine optimization. This doesn’t necessary mean they are the best fit for you.
Many people in Memphis don’t receive the treatment they need. There are a few reasons for this:
- No insurance
- Insurance doesn’t cover mental health professionals
- In-network therapists are overbooked
- No money for high co-pays
- Homeless or no access to information
Regardless of the reason, there needs to be a centralized place to find reliable information on mental health professionals in Memphis.
What Makes Memphis Unique When It Comes to Mental Health?
There are several factors unique to Memphis that make it a city prone to mental health issues.
- Climate: The climate in Memphis could have something to do with its high level of mental health issues. In the spring and summer months, Memphis can be a very hot and humid place. Health issues in general are on the rise in weather like this. It can be hard to breath and air quality is poor.
- Unemployment Rate: Although the statistics show that Memphis has a relatively low unemployment rate at 4.4%, this number is misleading. Even though the official rate is down, the number of jobless has not gone down. The unemployment rate doesn’t reflect those that have been unemployed so long they are no longer entitled to unemployment insurance. Being jobless is a very large contributor to mental illness. It can lead to depression, anxiety and isolation.
- Drug Use at Epidemic Levels: The number of people in Memphis suffering from drug addiction is on the climb. To put this into perspective, the rate of drug related deaths is 484 per 100,000. Memphis has more drug use than any other city in Tennessee. Drug use has historically caused mental health issues. The problem is that drug use can also be caused by mental health issues. It is a double-sided problem.
Divorce Rate in Memphis
Tennesse has one of the highest divorce rates in the country at 19.1 per 1,000 married people. In fact, in Memphis, at least 1/3 of people who are married are working on their second marriage. One of the major reasons for this high divorce rate is the poverty level. Memphis (and Tennessee in general) is a poor state. When people are dealing with financial issues, marriages disintegrate.
Many people in Memphis could benefit from marriage counseling, if they can afford it. Marriage counseling has been shown to decrease the chances of divorce. A couple who learns how to improve communicate has a much better chance of enjoying a long marriage. Memphis does have qualified marriage counselors. There are over 500 marriage counselors in Tennessee. It is a matter of finding them.
Mental Health Resources in Memphis
Memphis doesn’t have nearly as many mental health professionals as larger cities. However, there are over 1,800 state-wide. This number only includes those in private practice. There are also many public resources for mental health counselors.
What people need is a one-stop site for mental health resources. If people had easy and user-friendly access to a mental health professional, treatment would be possible. It is when people are frustrated or confused that they forego necessary treatment.