“The toll of addiction, from lost lives to broken families, touches every community”
In order to help address America’s biggest and most intricate public health dilemma, details on the first cohort of federal health officials who will talk at the 8th yearly summit (which is expected to attract thousands of people), has just been announced. It is being held in Atlanta between April 22nd and 25th, 2019, and will focus on “bringing the best minds together to discuss what’s working in prevention, treatment, and law enforcement in order to find solutions and save lives”. Although more announcements of high profile speakers are expected, so far, it will include the following:
- Nora Volkow, MD, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Director
- Robert Redfield, MD, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Director
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, National Institutes of Health, Director.
The educational partner for the Summit, and founder of Operation UNITE, American Congressman Hal Rogers (Kentucky), stated that: “The impressive line-up of top federal officials underscores the gravity of the opioid crisis and the government’s commitment to fighting it. This conference is the leading outlet where the very best ideas for fighting the opioid crisis are presented and discussed and reflects our ongoing determination and dedication to getting ahead of this crisis”.
Since its initiation in 2012, the summit now represents the largest country-wide professional assembly. – It incorporates: family members who are affected by drug misuse, law enforcement, advocates, treatment providers, academia, business executives, public health officials, and federal, state and local agencies. Organized by HMP, this conference is well known for its high profile speakers, including: Counselor to the current President, Kellyanne Conway; former President Bill Clinton; Speaker Newt Gingrich; and President Barack Obama.
This will incorporate 12 different fields which are classed under: actionable takeaways, and evidence-based practical, education, as follows:
- Advocacy – collaboration in order to generate more action & policies
- Clinical outcome amelioration & the adoption of safe prescribing
- Federal – debating the country’s current policies
- Illicit Drugs & Heroine – analyzing trends & best practices
- Corrections & Law Enforcement – a reaction to the opioid crisis
- Strategies for overdose prevention to save lives
- Evaluation of Data surveillance & programs for prescription drug monitoring
- Third party payer & prescription practices – comprehending payment & provider relationships
- Strategies for prevention – considering various successful methods
- SAM Summit – putting the spotlight on marijuana & the best ways to approach this addiction
- Recovery & treatment – how the entire community can be receive help
- Topics which are currently treading – looking at best practices & innovative therapies.
Shirley Amy is a Holistic Health Specialist and professional writer who’s published 4 books. Her interests include optimum wellness, mental health, fitness, and positive lifestyle change. She holds University and College qualifications in the fields of Health Science, Nutrition, Mental Health, Fitness, Holistic Therapy and Aromatherapy.