America’s biggest drug abuse conference will be held this year in Atlanta, Georgia. This renowned and very important 8th annual event will be conducted between April 22th and 25th, with the aim of targeting the country’s current opioid epidemic. This will be done by focusing on tangible solutions and practical changes that can be implemented across the nation. Held over four action packed days, it will include a broad array of interested parties, namely: community advocates, clinicians, law enforcement, public health officials and lawmakers.
This year’s program will offer delegates concise, evidence-based, practical education, as well as 12 key area actionable take-aways from Prevention Strategies to National Policy Action. It is this guidance which is so crucial, and we hope that all the advice given, will be spread far and wide, so that it will have a positive effect on all the countless people who suffer from drug abuse, often through no fault of their own.
Support From Members of Congress
The Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit has stated that various members of congress will be making speeches at the event. These comprise: U.S. Congressman, Hal Rogers (Kentucky), who is the founder of Operation UNITE, and the first organizer of the congress. – Rogers, who has done so much for the cause, now holds the post of educational advisor. U.S. Congresswoman, Susan Brooks (Indiana); U.S. Congressman, Earl “Buddy” Carter, (Georgia); and U.S. Congressman, Wm. Lacy Clay (Missouri). This incredible show of support from elected officials carries a lot of weight, and no doubt the members of congress will do all they can to help get positive solutions implemented.
CEO and president of Operation UNITE, Nancy Hale, stated that: “We are honored that these members of Congress will participate in the discussion on combating the prescription drug abuse epidemic. Their participation reinforces the critical importance of taking a multi-pronged approach to collaboration across government, law enforcement, healthcare, academia, and community, in order to find solutions for the most devastating public health crisis ever faced by our country. Clearly, this group of revered figures shows the deep dedication and commitment to help the country overcome this out of control crisis.
Other Notable Speakers
Well known government officials joining the conference include:
- Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, James W. Carroll
- Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Francis S. Collins, MD, PhD
- Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Robert R. Redfield, MD
- Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), Nora Volkow, MD
- Deputy Commandant for Operations, U.S. Coast Guard Admiral, Charles W. Ray
- Assistant Administrator, Diversion Control Division, U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, John Martin
- Senior Adviser for Rural Affairs, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), Anne Hazlett
- New Jersey Attorney General, Gurbir S. Grewal
- Former Governor of Kentucky, Ernie Fletcher, MD, and
- Secretary, Kentucky Justice and Public Safety Cabinet, John Tilley.
Shirley Amy is a Holistic Health Specialist and professional writer who’s published 4 books. Her interests include optimum wellness, mental health, fitness, and positive lifestyle change. She holds University and College qualifications in the fields of Health Science, Nutrition, Mental Health, Fitness, Holistic Therapy and Aromatherapy.